HANEN MORE THAN WORDS
The More Than Words Program was designed specifically for parents of children ages 5 and under on the autism spectrum. Addressing the unique needs of these children, the program provides parents with the tools, strategies and support they need to help their children reach their full communication potential.
More Than Words does this by empowering you to help your child reach the following three goals:
- Improved social communication and back-and-forth interactions
- Improved play skills
- Improved imitation skills
Some of the valuable things you’ll learn when you attend the More Than Words program includes:
- What motivates your child to communicate
- How to use your knowledge about your child to set appropriate and realistic goals
- How to make interactions with your child last longer
- Tips for using pictures and print to help your child’s understanding
- Strategies for how to talk so that you child understands you
- Strategies for developing your child’s play skills
- Ways to help your child make friends
Benefits of taking the More Than Words program:
The More Than Words program focuses on your natural day-to-day life with your child. You’ll discover how to take everyday activities like meal time, story time, and bath time and use them to help your child improve his/her communication and social skills. And you’ll have fun together while you’re doing it!
Why choose More Than Words instead of It Takes Two to Talk?
While It Takes Two to Talk incorporates many of the same strategies as More Than Words, it is designed specifically for parents of young children who have been identified as having a language delay and does not specifically address strategies for children on the Autism Spectrum.
How is More Than Words scheduled?
- Orientation Session:
- In this session, parents are given information about the content and process of the More Than Words program. This will provide them with a good understanding of what they will learn and how, so that they can decide if the program is fit for them and their children.
- Pre-program Consultation:
- The Pre-program Consultation gives the Speech and Language Therapist the opportunity to meet with you and your child to informally assess his/her communication skills.
- Parent-led intervention sessions:
- Following the pre-program consultation, the parent and SLT will create specific goals that will be targeted throughout the intervention sessions. The sessions will be parent-led with guidance and input from the SLT. This will support carry over at home of skills and strategies implemented in the intervention sessions.
Appointment schedule and Costs:
Initial Appointment (Parents Only) 45min intro sessions €75
Child and Parent sessions 45mins sessions €75
Training Session child and parent 60 min sessions €100
A commitment of at least 4 Training sessions will be required but it will depend on each individual child as the programme is individual to each child’s needs.
Amanda or Speech Therapist here on the team is facilitating the Hanen Training for parents and their children. We are offering it in a 1:1 setting with parent, parent/child and therapist. If you would like to enquire around appointments please contact Amanda and she can discuss with your directly.