Senior Occupational Therapist
Rachel Maunsell is a senior OT working in clinics and schools around Dublin for the last year and a half. She trained in Trinity College and spent five years (2014-2018) working overseas in Singapore after graduating in 2013.
Initially she was working with adults in a hospital setting. Her case load included working with the neurology team for people that had suffered from strokes and brain injuries, the orthopedic team for people who had suffered fractures or had undergone joint replacement surgery and the dementia unit for elderly patients suffering from cognitive and physical decline. She also spent time in the palliative care unit, helping people receive end of life care.
Further to working with adults, Rachel started to pursue her passion of working with the pediatric population. She spent the next three years in Singapore working in a private practice and in local and international schools. She then began working with children from the ages of 18months up to 18 years, with difficulties including Autism (ASD), sensory processing issues, difficulties with self-care, handwriting issues, gross and fine motor difficulties (DCD/dyspraxia), emotional regulation issues and executive functioning difficulties (planning, sequencing organising and executing higher level cognitive tasks).
Rachel loves working with children and their families to create client and family centred goals and help children reach their maximum potential at home, with friends, and in school, in whatever occupations they endeavor to improve.
She continued with her professional development and competed the following courses over the last number of years since graduating:
- Scar management
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation
- Housing Modification (level 1)
- Learn To Play (by Karen Stagnitti)
- DIR Floortime 101
- DIR Floortime 201
- Ayres Sensory Integration Module 1 “Foundations and Neuroscience”
- Ayres Sensory Integration Module 2 “Clinical Reasoning in Sensory Integration Assessment”
- Ayres Sensory Integration Module 3 “Clinical Reasoning and Practice in Sensory Integration Intervention”
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (training to administer part of the assessment for Autism)
- Social Thinking (Michelle Garcia Winner)
- The Zones of Regulation
- How Does Your Engine Run?
Rachel is due to acquire her Masters of Science in Sensory Integration, result pending in August 2020.