Our Occupational Therapy department aims to help Children achieve and maintain practical life skills so that the child can participate fully in their environment whether that be home, school or general play. Occupational Therapy can help children overcome physical difficulties that they may be experiencing such as:
- Visual Perceptual skills: essential skills for learning reading, writing, spelling and development of such
- Visual-Motor Integration Skills: coordinated use of eye and hands together, which affects functional skills such as handwriting, copying from the black board, and catching a ball
- Gross and Fine Motor Difficulties: gross motor (balance, ball skills), fine motor (finger strength, dexterity, control)
- Handwriting Difficulties: pencil grip, letter formations, letter reversals, spacing
- Sensory Processing Difficulties: effecting attention and concentration skills, ability to sit still to a peer appropriate level, impulsivity
- Social Skills: developing appropriate play skills, confidence and variety of hobbies and interests, ability to initiate and expand conversations, make and maintain friendships
- Functional Skills: dressing, toileting, self-care, organisation
We can offer assessment, therapy and intervention for children of all abilities. We cater for children who may present with a diagnosis of:
- Down Syndrome
- Developmental Delay
- Sensory Processing Delay
Our Occupational Therapist can work with Children in our Centre, in their own home to put in place home programmes for children and parents to work on.
To make an appointment with our OT we would ask that you make an initial appointment so that parents can meet with the therapist to discuss your concerns or the concerns of the teacher/preschool teacher. This is an opportunity for our Therapist to gather information which may also include forms being filled out by teacher and parents. Once our Therapist has received all this information she will then be able to contact you with details of what the best plan moving forward would be whether that be assessment or a therapeutic plan to work on in the clinic or a combination of therapy visits and a home/school program.